“ Music has healing power. It has the ability to take people out of themselves for a few hours.” – Elton john
Music has been used as healer innumerable times metaphorically from a very long time. Since the 1800s, music has formed a very crucial part of various treatments.
The rhythms can not only make you dance but can actually heal you mentally and eventually the effect can be seen on your physical status.
Daily-life rescue operation by music
The 21st century is considered to be the most dreadful condition in terms of mental health. From children to adults everyone seems to experience depression once in their lifetime. We are ignoring the personal space that we require for ourselves to recover from all that goes around in life. We are certainly running after becoming the best as professionals but losing ourselves personally.
Now this is where music comes into play, while you were sulking deep in sorrows somewhere in the corner of your rooms you playlist must have rescued you out of it. You must have experienced it yourself that there comes a time when you want to give it all up but then when you feel the lyrics of some song it feels like someone is talking to you pushing you up to rise and be a slayer.
There have been so many musicians like Eminem, who actually gave up on life but their passion for music somehow gave them the reason to survive.
Lullaby and infants
Have you ever wondered why you sing to your baby to sleep, and not dance ? funny question right ! yet an important one. It has been noticed that baby hearing low soothing musical sounds tend to calm their minds and give them the sense of comfort and protection.
In some neonatal intensive care units (NICU), they use “ocean discs” and “gato box” to create double heart beat sounds and vibrations like inside the womb for preterm baby’s proper growth and better eating-sleeping patterns.
So next time you are singing a baby to sleep, make sure your volume and tone is proper.
Inflammations handled musically
Researchers have found out that music tends to reduce stress cortisol and increase the immune system response by increasing the level of antibody IgA & Nk cells. It’s been seen that music decreases the anxiety attack, lowers BP & Cholesterol , hence lowers the risk of acute myocardial infarction.
This treating of sound healing through music therapy is actually known as Music Therapy, various techniques used in it are:
- Guided meditation
- Neurologic music therapy
- Bonny method
- Nordoff robbins method
- Tuning fork method
- Brainwave entertainment
Music therapy helps in increasing pain tolerance and acts as a source of relaxation and hope in cancer patients.
Neurological diseases and Music therapy
Some patients start being over depressed only on seeing the drug prescriptions which worsen their neurological diseases. Music therapy has been found to create some stability in cognitive functions of the brain and hence improve their speech, sleep & other physical abilities.
It’s also being proven that learning a new music instrument every time will enhance your cognitive abilities.
Music therapy helps in treatment of following disease like:
- Post traumatic stress disorder – by increasing level of endorphins and decreasing anxiety attack
- Risk of Stroke
- Decreasing the Epilepstic and migraine attack frequency
- Parkinsonism – reduces the rigidity and involuntary body movements
- Autism – by enhancing learning ability
- Cerebral palsy– vibro-acoustic therapy uses sinusoidal low frequency sounds to tone the brain waves and improve the brain function.
- Alzheimer’s disease – music therapy increases the power of retention and recall in such patients.
Movies and music therapy
There have been various movies which were made on the fact how music helped the characters survive their tough times in life, to name a few:
- The Notebook- a very famous bollywood movie that showed an old age protagonist suffering from dementia starts to regain her memories when her husband sings to her their love story.
- It’s Kind of Funny Story – it’s a story about a shy psychiatric patient who learns to express and enjoy through musical instruments with encouragement by his group members.
- The music never stopped – its about the how music bond’s father and ill son suffering from brain tumor where music aids in bypassing the blockages in brain.
- Dear Comrade – its a south indian movie where the lover boy joins a team working on healing through nature’s music which helped his partner to overcome psychological trauma.
We have heard about how Mozart music has been a healer of so many broken hearts and how Tansen’s music could bring rain to barren land through his “Megh Raga”. Music has proven that it’s not just an art but a medicine with no side effects, soothing infants to old age.